Welcome to my blog and thanks soso much for spending a little while peeping into my world

ARTS, BELLYDANCING, CRAFTS
BELLYDANCING, ARTS, CRAFTS
CRAFTS, BELLYDANCING, ARTS

whichever order I put them in, these are my passion!

... all from my little home studio in Durban, on the east coast of sunny South Africa!

"I used to think that anyone doing anything weird was weird. I suddenly realized that anyone doing anything weird wasn't weird at all and it was the people saying they were weird that were weird." -- Paul McCartney









Wednesday, August 22, 2012

THE LEGEND OF THE CHRISTMAS SPIDER


One Christmas, long, long ago, a poor, penniless widow had no money to buy her children Christmas gifts but she so wanted them to have a tree. After putting the children to bed she cut a tree down, placed it in the house and decorated it with fruits, nuts, and cookies she had baked. Then she cleaned her house in preparation for the most wonderful tradition of the year, the coming of the Santa Claus bringing gifts for Christmas.  Afterwards, she went to bed, exhausted.
Not a speck of dust was left. Even the spiders had fled their corners and gone to the attic. When the family was asleep, the oldest and wisest spider suggested they creep out of the attic and sneak into the room to see the decorated tree that towered so high.  They scurried along each branch, admiring the woman’s homemade decorations. Everywhere they went, they left a train of dusty grey web, until finally the entire tree was covered with it.
When Santa saw this, he was happy that the spiders had seen the tree, but he knew the mother would be brokenhearted about its dusty grey appearance. He reached out and touched the webs and miraculously they all turned a lovely shimmering gold and silver. On Christmas morning the family awoke to such a lovely sight and all were happy. It was a beautiful sight to behold, a tree glittering in tinsel!
And so, it has become a custom of the Christmas season to decorate your tree with tinsel and to have a spider among the other decorations.

Now isn't that a lovely legend?  
I have used this story as the theme for my entry into the Sketch Challenge at The Outlawz.  This is the sketch:

and here is my card :


I printed the legend directly onto the vintage print DP, and the base card is a yellowish mustard colour. I used a punch to decorate the top edge of the DP.

As embellishments I beaded two spiders directly onto the cardstock (with a sparkly star sequin underneath).  I have beaded ants straight onto cards, but spiders are something completely new to me  ... and I love how they have turned out!

I would like to add this card to the following challenges:


luv'n huggz
Jen Leeflang
Durban
South Africa



28 comments:

  1. This is wonderful Jen. I really love the Christmas Legend, it looks gorgeous printed onto the vintage style paper and your beaded spiders look wonderful.
    Thank you for taking part in Joanna Sheen's Totally Sentimental Challenge
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jan and thanks for sharing this unusual Christmas card with us in our 'Words'challenge.
    I'd never heard this story but it is a sweet way to explain the tinsel we use each year at Christmas. Lovely work and great take on the challenge.

    Angela ( Craftymessers )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very awesome way to use the sketch! I've never heard this story, but I like it! Hope you're feeling a bit better, dear!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really like this, thank you for joining us at craftymess.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good golly that's awesome! Love those little beaded spiders! Thanks for playing along with us at Flourishes this week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely project Jen, thanks for joining in the MTTC challenge, good luck x

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a really lovely creation.Thanks for joining us over at Sparkles Christmas 'punch it' challenge.Good luck.Hugs Debs x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Really enjoyed reading your story,and if I choose to believe, I will..lol..fabulous card too..


    Thanks for sharing with us at ‘Make it Monday’

    Luv CHRISSYxx
    Remember, to be in the running to win the prize from our sponsor this week just leave a comment for another entry. Be sure to mention you saw them on Make It Monday. The more entries you comment on the more chances you have of winning!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Best Part of This challenge is all of the wonderful Entries.
    This is a great Card.
    I love the image and the design.
    Best Of Luck in the challenge.
    Hugs
    Tammy Ortiz
    Founder of
    Tammy Scrapin Corner

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for joining us for our theme 'words only' over on the CraftyMess challenge blog.
    What a great and unusual project! I love the fact that you have taken something that you like and turned it into a crafty project. The spiders look great (even though they petrify me and the photo shocked me at first).
    I really hope you will play along with us when we launch out new theme over on our blog.
    Hugs lisa xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just wonderful! I am just learning to bead and find fun ways to use them. thank you for sharing! Wonderful! Came from MIM
    Hugs,
    Marie

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fabulous card!

    Thank you for joining in the fun at Sparkles Christmas challenges for our * Punch it * challenge

    Hope you will join us again & good luck in the draw
    Hugs Shaz x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great card & a fantastic idea!

    Thank you for sharing with us at My Time To Craft, Emerald Faeries & Sparkles Christmas, good luck!
    Hugs Shell xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is so beautiful story and your project is stunning. Love your beade spiders. So brilliant project. Thank you so much for sharing it with us at The Emerald Faeries Challenge Blog. Hope to see you back again :)
    Hugs, Eret

    ReplyDelete
  15. You've made a great card using the story as your inspiration.
    Thank you for sharing it with us at Crafty Ann's
    x

    ReplyDelete
  16. WOW what a fabulous project love it and a great story.

    Thank you so much for coming over and joining in with us over at Craftymess.

    Great Big Huge Hugs

    Becca xxx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow! So unique and lovely. Very interesting too1 Your spiders turned out fantastic! Thanks so much for entering our A & T Emerald Faeries Challenge! Hope to see more of your talent.
    Manderly
    xxxooo

    ReplyDelete
  18. Awesome card, love those beaded spiders thanks for joining us at the Emerald Faeries Challenge this fortnight.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I saw your beautiful creation on Make It Monday and had to visit and take a closer look. Gorgeous! TFS!
    My entries are: #165, #189, #217, #227 and #228.
    I would love to have you visit my blog!
    Hugs,
    Julia

    ReplyDelete
  20. Now as someone, who really doesn't like spiders in real life, I scream and run away from them.(Maybe because I was bit by a brown recluse...) I think your card is great. I love how you beaded the spiders and the lovely story to go along with it. Thanks for sharing with the Stampin' Sisters in Christ Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Just fabulous Jen - brilliant legend too. Thank you for sharing both with us at Crafty Ann's
    Ann x

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great idea to make your card this way. Thanks for joining us at The Crazy Challenge.

    groetjes, Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  23. Ha! That's great! Thanks for playing along with us at the FTTC!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Lovely project.
    Thanks for joining us at The Crazy Challenge this week!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Very pretty, even with spiders on it! lol I do love the paper and punches you've used! Thanks for sharing this with us at Stampin Sisters in Christ! ~H

    ReplyDelete
  26. An unusual projet but such a nice story! i love it!
    Thanks for joining us at Challenge up your life
    XXX
    Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  27. Very unusual card. Thank you for joining us at A & T Digital Designs (EFG). Good Luck xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear that you have been here, so please leave a comment! I welcome all craft related comments and read every one of them!