Welcome to my blog and thanks soso much for spending a little while peeping into my world

ARTS, BELLYDANCING, CRAFTS
BELLYDANCING, ARTS, CRAFTS
CRAFTS, BELLYDANCING, ARTS

whichever order I put them in, these are my passion!

... all from my little home studio in Durban, on the east coast of sunny South Africa!

"I used to think that anyone doing anything weird was weird. I suddenly realized that anyone doing anything weird wasn't weird at all and it was the people saying they were weird that were weird." -- Paul McCartney









Thursday, October 25, 2012

A FLASHBACK MEMORY ... 1974/1975




 

These were my to final years of high school where my major was Art and Art History.  There are many periods of Art History that I can call my favourite, as each have their own examples, but none stand out as much as the Expressionist period, mainly due to the most famous example, "The Scream" by Norwegian  Edvard Munch.  

Scholars and critics have really exciting and interesting interpretations of the painting, ranging from the eruption of Krakatoa in 1883/4, to  a salughterhouse being nearby, or to his mentally ill sister.

Whatever his inspiration, I think this painting, but particularly the stone lithograph of it in just back and white, stands out as one of the most memorable in my studies, surpassing the Sistine Chapel Ceiling, the Mona Lisa, or even any of Modigliani's paintings (my most favourite artist of all time)

A quick jump across to Wikipedia will give you more info on the artist.

Okay - if I don't stop myself now, I will  write a book on this subject ... and the onto my card using "The Scream" as my inspiration for my entry into the Colour Challenge at The Outlawz where the challenge is to create a spooky project using RED, BLACK AND WHITE.  This is what I made:



I used the lithograph stone image of THE SCREAM, coloured the face in red, added a blood red sun/moon/planet in the form of a gem (the last of the packet that I bought two years ago), and the word SCREAM in newspaper cutout letters to increase the spookiness!

Don't you think this is a scary image - to me something like this is much more terror-rific than a ghost in a white sheet.  It could be the perfect image for an adult that celebrates Halloween.

I have entered my card into the following challenges:



luv'n huggz
Jen Leeflang
DURBAN
SOUTH AFRICA

23 comments:

  1. Ooooh, seriously scary .... so I am typing this comment as fast as I can .... lol!!! Love the touches of red.
    Hugs
    Desire

    ReplyDelete
  2. I to remember "The Scream" from school, it's an image thats always stuck with me and your interpretation of it is fantastic. Thank you so much for joining us at Eclectic Ellpu this week.

    Andria - EE, dt (Purples).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow this is amazing thanks for joining us at craftymess. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. PERFECT!! That lithograph fits into Halloween so well. You did an amazing job on it.
    Thanks for playing along with our Halloween challenge over at the Sisterhood of Crafters

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic card Jen! =)
    I've visited the Edvard Munch museeum in Olso, it was really interesting to learn more about him!
    Hugs, Elenor

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL, I catch the meaning of this card!!!!! I feel like screaming at this time of year as well!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my word Jen ... this is AMAZING!! You are SO CREATIVE and talented ... AWESOME idea and creation!
    Thanks so much for joining us at The Sisterhood ‘HALLOWEEN’ challenge and please come back again soon!
    Darlene
    one of the 'Sistahs'
    DAR’S CRAFTY CREATIONS
    P.S. (Miss You!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is really a great Halloween card! Love your interpretation of this painting and it´s more scary than any ghost or witch can ever be. Great job on this!!

    Thank you so much for sharing your creativity with us this fortnight at Gingerloft.
    Best of luck and we'd love to have you visit again!

    Mian
    Gingerloft Design Team Member
    http://mianspysselhorna.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooooh, such a cool card, Jen! Love that painting, and love your red treatment of it! :^)
    Hugs, Penny

    ReplyDelete
  10. THis is a truly inspired Halloween card Jen! Very clever use of colour to maximise the effect.
    Thanks for joining us at Eclectic Ellapu this week, hope to see you often!

    Hugs

    Laurian

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, what an original and highly creative project. This is a wonderful addition to our Halloween gallery Jen. Thanks for joining us at Top Tip Tuesday for our Halloween challenge.

    Remember you can enter up to 3 projects and 3 tips. Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Really scary card, great idea, thanks for joining us at Craftmess.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is highly creative and what an amazing interpretation of that image. perfect for halloween. Thanks for playing at Top Tip Tuesday and good luck. Hope to see you back soon for a new challenge. Bettina xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wowie!! Seriously Spooktacular! Fabulous interpretation of your inspiration pic! So glad you could join us at Tuesday Throwdown! 8-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great card... spooky! LOL! Thanks for sharing this at My Sheri Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  16. brilliant! thanks for playing along at The Pink Elephant!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gorgeous card, love the colours you have used, this is one scary card lol, thanks for joining our spooky challenge at MMCS, Gaynor x

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a scary card, just fantastic.
    Thanks for joining us at Inky Impressions.
    Babette

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wonderful card !! Thank you so much for taking the time to share with us at gingerloft this fortnight and please join us now for our 'No colouring' challenge. Good luck, hugs
    NIKKI DT

    ReplyDelete
  20. Spooktacular! Thanks for joining us at Inky Impressions.

    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love this, very spooky :) Thank you for joining us at Hooked on Crafts this month. xx

    ReplyDelete
  22. Fabulous card the image is simply fun. Thanks for joining in on the fun at Tuesday Throwdown. We look forward to seeing you again.
    Hugs
    Berni,DT
    tuesdaythrowdown.

    ReplyDelete
  23. what a great halloween project xx thank you for playing at MMCS xxx

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear that you have been here, so please leave a comment! I welcome all craft related comments and read every one of them!