Welcome to my blog and thanks soso much for spending a little while peeping into my world

ARTS, BELLYDANCING, CRAFTS
BELLYDANCING, ARTS, CRAFTS
CRAFTS, BELLYDANCING, ARTS

whichever order I put them in, these are my passion!

... all from my little home studio in Durban, on the east coast of sunny South Africa!

"I used to think that anyone doing anything weird was weird. I suddenly realized that anyone doing anything weird wasn't weird at all and it was the people saying they were weird that were weird." -- Paul McCartney









Wednesday, April 25, 2012

CRAZY PATCHWORK - 2012 STYLE

I needed to create a Crazy Patchwork cushion cover for our Women's Institute Group Meeting competition and as I have so many scraps left over from making the belly dance costumes, I decided to super-bling mine.

This is what I came up with :


Today is such a beautiful day - clear blue skies, warm sunshine - perfect weather for an outdoor shot, so I laid the cushion on some organza and Simba decided that she would pose for the pic too!  She has decided to start a new trend ... "pose your craft pics with your cat".

I used offcuts of chiffon, organza, satin, taffeta, silk, lame, lurex, sequin dot, Indian sari, beads, sequins, lace, braiding and rhinestones .... anything I could find in the right colours was incorporated - the shinier the better!




Unfortunately the cushion cover  was disqualified as it contained beads and sequins - not allowed in traditional Crazy Patchwork - although the brief for the competition did not specify that it had to be traditional.  All it said was "Crazy Patchwork" - nothing about it having to be traditional.  No problem though, I enter the WI competitions merely for fun, and to support my branch of WI.  Initially I wasn't going to enter but then was persuaded to make one.  I started at 9 am and finished at 4pm - 7 hours non-stop whilst having a migraine and so i was looking through one eye in half darkness because the light was hurting my eyes.  I  did have fun making it though.
luv'n huggz
Jen Leeflang
DURBAN
SOUTH AFRICA


10 comments:

  1. Very cool! Praying for a migraine-free day for you today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous cushion, love it, many thanks for sharing with Cupcake Craft Challenges.

    Warm hugs
    Maarit

    ReplyDelete
  3. beautiful, LOVE how bold the colours are! thanks for playing along with us at TTT with our anything but a card challenge, good luck hope to see you again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Jen this is adorable! What gorgeous materials and the colours are fab! I bet whoever gets to have this beautiful creation will be over the moon - I know I would!

    I love the picture that Simba had to get in too - typical cat, place something on the floor and they immediately lie on it! Well mine do ;)

    Thanks for joining us over at Top Tip Tuesday for our 'Anything but a Card' challenge. Don't forget you could win our Top Tipper prize by leaving a tip in your post especially for TTT
    Thanks for playing :)

    Carol x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love all that shiny! Thanks for playing in the Tuesday Throwdown this week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So colorful and fun! So happy you joined us this week at Shopping Our Stash!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooh, a non-card entry - I love it! And I want your cat!!!! Thanks for joining us at Shopping Our Stash!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh you poor thing, those migraines are the worst! I'm inspired by your dedication and work with the use of one eye while squinting. Your cushion cover turned out beautifully!

    Thank you so much for playing along with us at Top Tip Tuesday!
    Remember you can enter up to 3 projects and 3 tips and don't forget our Caught Our Eye winner post too!
    Hugs to you,
    Lisa xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Jen, what a beautiful cushion. I love the vibrant colours and pretty details. Thanks for joining us at cupcake craft challenge this week. Hugs, Denise x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the colors! So super fun. All that hard work paid off with this gorgeous creation:0)

    Thank you for joining us at Top Tip Tuesday! Hope to see you again!

    Hugs;
    Janette

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear that you have been here, so please leave a comment! I welcome all craft related comments and read every one of them!