Welcome to my blog and thanks soso much for spending a little while peeping into my world

ARTS, BELLYDANCING, CRAFTS
BELLYDANCING, ARTS, CRAFTS
CRAFTS, BELLYDANCING, ARTS

whichever order I put them in, these are my passion!

... all from my little home studio in Durban, on the east coast of sunny South Africa!

"I used to think that anyone doing anything weird was weird. I suddenly realized that anyone doing anything weird wasn't weird at all and it was the people saying they were weird that were weird." -- Paul McCartney









Wednesday, August 29, 2012

CDAC PROGRESSIVE FREEBIE CHALLENGES

The new series of Progressive Freebie Challenges at CDAC is called 
'YOU CAN BE THE STAR'
Members were invited to create a card with a freebie from Tiffany Doodles, in advance, and a 'Star' would be chosen to introduce the challenge to the rest of the members.  Five stars were chosen, and I am proud to announce that mine was one of them.


I printed the image directly onto pastel colouored DP and then coloured the postive space (the surfboards)  I left the negative spaces blank - a technique I developed called "Faux Paper Piecing".  I used a white gel pen to define some of the lines on the surboards.

Here is a closer look:


Living in a surfers paradise, (Durban South Africa) and in the same community as Heidi Palmboom, I chose to celebrate all the female surfers worldwide!  I have a husband who surfed as a younger man, and I watched Jordie Smith learning to ride his skateboard almost before he could walk (Jordie lived next door) and he attended the school where I worked.  

As you can see, I chose to make a girlie card, inspired by the surfer girls.  To complete the card I added a grosgrain ribbon with a blinged slider that I have had in my stash forever !LOL! and added a sentiment that I generated on the computer.

The details of the challenge can be viewed HERE.

I really am looking forward to the next round, which features a free image from Priscillastyles:

 

luv'n huggz
Jen Leeflang
Durban

19 comments:

  1. fabulous card good luck and thank you for taking part over on CMC blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. Impressive card! I like the color development of your project. It's so cool ...
    Thanks so much for joining us at Card Mania challenges

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the surf theme and those fab colours - just perfect for our "Beside the seaside" dare this week. Thanks for playing along with the Daring Cardmakers. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is stunning, love those boards and slider, thanks for joining us at Crafty Sentiments this week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your card is gorgeous! I love the "pink"summer! Thank you for playing along at Card Mania Challenges! Good luck! Ani

    ReplyDelete
  6. this is fab, love all the color on this and the beach theme, hugs

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Jen
    A beautiful card,fabulous colour's thankyou for joining us this week at Bearly Mine Challenges
    Hugs Dianne xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Its just gorgeous and perfect for our challenge. Thanks for joining us at Crafty Sentiments.
    Pinky

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love how you did these surfboards and made this such a girly card, Jen.
    Blessing hugs,
    Teresa (aka Thesea - wink)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the colors you chose. Your work is always so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! Thanks for sharing the technique! I love the colours and the ribbon works nicely with the card! :) Thanks for joining us at Use It Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful card! I tove the boards and colours are just right for the girls :0) Thanks for joining in DCM challenge this week.

    Zuz. x x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great card. Thank you for joining the Daring Cardmakers this week. Gez

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great card, takes me back to my surfing days many years ago, thanks for sharing with us at OLLCB, x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fab card! Love all the pink :) Thanks for joining us over at Use it Tuesday!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful card! Love the pink surfboards & your "faux paper piecing" technique. It turned out great!
    Thanks so much for joining us at Clear It Out challenges.
    We hope to see you again soon.
    Huggies ~
    Sharron♥

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a fun summery card! Love the pink theme. Thanks for playing along with our inspiration challenge at Clear It Out!
    Jennifer - Clear It Out DT

    ReplyDelete
  18. Stunning card!Thanks for joining us at Card Mania Challenge.
    Hugs, Mila

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a great technique, your surfboards look great

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear that you have been here, so please leave a comment! I welcome all craft related comments and read every one of them!