Welcome to my blog and thanks soso much for spending a little while peeping into my world

ARTS, BELLYDANCING, CRAFTS
BELLYDANCING, ARTS, CRAFTS
CRAFTS, BELLYDANCING, ARTS

whichever order I put them in, these are my passion!

... all from my little home studio in Durban, on the east coast of sunny South Africa!

"I used to think that anyone doing anything weird was weird. I suddenly realized that anyone doing anything weird wasn't weird at all and it was the people saying they were weird that were weird." -- Paul McCartney









Wednesday, October 16, 2013

A NEW BELLYDANCE OUTFIT COMPLETED

A 4 piece Tribal Fusion belly dance outfit is completed! One of my paying hobbies is creating costumes for dancers and I love to be give carte blanche in the design!  My clients usually give me a couple of pictures, colours, and fabrics as a starting point, and I have built up enough of  good reputation for them to trust me to create a one of a kind costume that they always seem to adore.

Here is my latest design:


The skirt is a double layer 3 tier skirt, with a hem circumference of 10+ metres.  Because of the width, it a necessary to gather up the tiers by hand, using thicker nylon thread, so that the stitches would hold the weight of the gathered fabric:

I also made a lacy three layer hip scarf to go over it:


The bra is made over a store bought white padded bra that I (ALTERED) covered and embellished:

Over the top of the coathanger you can see the headband with the flowers.

I just love the earthy autumn tones of the costume, with just a little bling to catch the stage lights.


I will deliver the costume this morning, and hope to take a photograph or two with the dancer wearing it. (I hope that there are no adjustments to be made - the show is on Saturday!)

UPDATE :


The costume fits perfectly!
(My love of sewing sequins and beads onto my cards is directly linked to my love of creating belly dance costumes)

luv'n huggz
Jen Leeflang
DURBAN
SOUTH AFRICA

Iwould like to enter the following challenges (I have checked carefully on the rules of each of these challenges, to ensure they allow non-papercraft projects, but If i have overlooked something, please feel free to delete my entry)




DESERT ISLAND CRAFTERS, DICC64, STRIPES, GLITTER AND SPARKLE, LOTS OF BLACK, AT LEAST 2 RIBBONS















35 comments:

  1. Wow, it is beautiful Jen!! Would love to see a photo when the dancer wears it!!
    Great job!
    Hugs,Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  2. All I can say is WOW! So glad I can call such a talented lady friend. This is stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is awesome Jen! You are so talented :). Thanks for sharing pics.

    Hugs,
    Katherine xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, this is spectacular, Jen! Gorgeous belly dancing costume and cool take on our "Dress Me Up" challenge! Thanks for joining us at The Corrosive Challenge!
    {hugs}
    Regan

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's stunning, Jen! She looks gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks even more gorgeous on the dancer Jen!!
    I bet she will have a great show :-)
    Terrific job on the costume!
    Hugs,Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful project.Thank you for joining us at Artistic Inspiration with our anything goes challenge hugs Tania (DT) xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Absolutely sensational, Jen! You should be so proud! :^)
    Hugs, Penny

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Jen!!! This is just fabulous!!! You are so very talented!!! And amazing!!
    Hugs
    Darcy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow this is fabulous! Thanks for joining us this week at Created With Love Challenges for our Sewing Faux or Real Challenge!
    DawnD

    ReplyDelete
  11. One more time then :-) Gorgeous!!!!
    Thanks for joining the TTCRD challenges!
    Hugs,Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is fabulous - you are quite the designer! The colors are awesome and it really complements the dancer's body. Thanks for sharing your talents with 613 Avenue Create. We'd love to see more.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow this is simply amazing. You are truly talented and I thank you for sharing with my girls and I at Mema's Crafts. (in advance)

    ReplyDelete
  14. wow! Absolutely gorgeous Jen. Love all the beautiful layers!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful. Thanks for joining us at Creative Corner

    ReplyDelete
  16. what a lovely project thanks for sharing with CWLC this week Rachel DT

    ReplyDelete
  17. Nice. Thanks for joining our Stitching Challenge at Created With Love Challenges

    ~~Chris

    ReplyDelete
  18. Gorgeous costume; so intricate and beautiful! Thank you for playing along with us at Altered Eclectics October Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is fabulous! Thanks so much for participating in our Really Reasonable Ribbon Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  20. A stunning outfit, so much detailed work. Thank you for joining us at TioT's this time.
    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is wonderful and creative, thanks for sharing with us at Make My Monday this week
    Rosie x

    ReplyDelete
  22. wow Jen I didn't know you made belly dancing costumes. I have a friend that does belly dancing I may have to link this to her site to see what you do. It is so pretty. Thanks for sharing your card with us at Created with love Challenge. Linda K. DT

    ReplyDelete
  23. WOW...Amazing needlework...you are so talented..Gorgeous colours & detail... Thank you so much for joining us at Altered eclectics..Hugs May x x x

    ReplyDelete
  24. Awesome job on your creation!! Thanks for playing along with us over at TIOT Texture challenge! I have a mixed media give away on my blog, if you are interested :) http://inthehillsofnorthcarolina.blogspot.com/2013/10/frosted-designs-mixed-media-kitand.html

    ReplyDelete
  25. Beautiful costume! Love all the details. Thanks for playing along with us in our Blogaversary Challenge at Creative Craft Challenges and good luck. Hugs, Gale DT

    ReplyDelete
  26. Gorgeous project... thanks so much for joining us over at Artistic Inspirations!
    Hugs Donna DT xx

    ReplyDelete
  27. Just awesome, I think this is probably the first time we've had an altered bra!! The whole costume is gorgeous, you are a very cever lady. Thank you for joining us at TioT. Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wow, wow, wow! Thanks for joining us at TIOT and have fun with that outfit! Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  29. A beautiful costume. The top piece is amazing. Gorgeous colours and fabulous materials. Thank you for joining us over at Craft My Life challenge blog. Hugs Mrs A. (DT.)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Such a gorgeous costume! Thanks for joining the Autumn Leaves and Ribbon Challenge at Really Reasonable Ribbon!! ~ Blessings, Tracey

    Garden of Grace

    ReplyDelete
  31. Your project is stunning I love it and thanks for sharing over at Altered Eclectics.
    Elaine aka Ellapu
    Owner - Eclectic Ellapu and Altered Eclectics

    ReplyDelete
  32. Cool Costume! I would love to learn how to belly dance...I think it would be great exercise! Love what you created!! Thank you for joining us at Really Reasonable Ribbon!
    Hugs
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  33. Wow, wow, wow, you make wonderful costumes! Thank you so much for joining us at my Craft My Life-All Crafts Challenge, hope to see you enter again soon! Elaine-xxx- p.s I have candy if you would like to pop by and enter :-) http://www.sparklingblackrose-craftmylife.blogspot.co.uk/2013/11/all-crafts-challenge-octnov-midway.html

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear that you have been here, so please leave a comment! I welcome all craft related comments and read every one of them!